Vic's Android Tips Apps and whatever
This page was originally posted - 2010-06-08 Quite a bit has changed since that time.
On this page I'll post my tips about phones, the apps (short for applications) I use, or not, wish I could, should, or should not. I am not going to try to compete with other much larger sites on this issue. This page is only a place where I can link to info about the apps I use. I will probably link to other sites that do much more in depth review and testing. There are quite a few sites out there and you may, like me, get hooked on reading up on all the new phones and apps.
I am (semi)new to Android phones, but am already very spoiled, I started out with a Samsung Moment, but the EVO was coming and it was announced before my 30 day take back was up, so I returned it and had to wait a miserable 3+ weeks to get the EVO. During that time I went back to my old HTC Mogul with Windows Mobile. When that phone came out a few years ago it was a pretty good phone, and with a few apps like the SPB Mobile Shell that transform the look and functionality to mimic features of other phones like the iPhone, Blackberrys, or even Android powered phones. I was able to get through it, but since all the buttons are in different places and have different functions on each phone, unfortunately I hung up on more people during that time than ever before.
I have only had the EVO a very short amount of time, and already I feel like I could keep this one for quite a while. This one has just about all the bells and whistles you can think of with a huge screen(but not too big), so it eliminates having to carry a few other devices like an mp3 player, camera with camcorder, and may even replace the laptop in most cases.
Below is a partial list of the apps I have linked to with the AppBrain app and service. I have updated the list to mostly show those apps that I have a review or post for. AppBrain is one of the most useful apps you will use. There will be more about it here as soon as I can. I will try to keep this list up to date and as I add my own reviews of each they should show up here also. I you use any of these or have your own recommendations let me know and I'll update the page. If the app is worthy enough, I will probably make a post just for it.
You will figure out that there are quite a few apps that are for kids on here and I'll let you know if my nephews, or any other kids that play with them like those or not. I generally will try every one myself to see if they will have any unintended issues or are inappropriate. When browsing through the Market, you should take a look at the other reviews to see if your phone has issues with that app or if it is worth it or not. You will find that a lot, or even most, apps support themselves with ads at the bottom of the screen in the app or they are sponsored by a product or service. There are a good number of apps that are put out just for the greater good and support themselves by donations. What I am saying is not to be surprised by the appearance of ads, even programmers have to eat.
Just a note, most of the links on this site will open in a new tab, but the list below will go directly to the site, so don't forget to come back.
Gadgets and accessories to go with your phone.
Car mount - VERY cheap and it works. There are a couple of pieces that fit together and will stay there if the phone is in it but it is easy for it to come apart. I found some plastic epoxy and glued it, you do NOT need very much of this as it can go inside the parts that move. I got this one as much for the fact that it can rotate to horizontal if I want, and the phone will stay just fine. Now if I can just find an app that would have the "car mode" in horizontal to match...
On the cables and the charger kits that are listed below, consider buying a few or at least more than one of each. These are VERY cheap and may not be the best quality. That way if one is bad, and you paid a whole penny for it, you can throw it away, have a back up, and not feel bad. If you are buying several one cent items, the shipping is bound to still be very cheap. Add them to your cart and figure the shipping to see.
Micro USB and Mini USB are very different plugs, so check what you have first.
Micro USB cable - Works with EVO - SHORT cables - I think the EVO came with one long cable and I'll add a link later for cheap ones.
Mini USB cable - Works with ?
Seidio Innocase Holster Case Combo for HTC EVO 4G (Black) - I had a Seidio case and holster for my Moment and it was the best one I have every used. The only down side was that the release sticks out just a bit much. It works very well. The case is very well designed and fit perfectly. The case for the EVO is next on my list to get.
Durable Flexible Soft Black Silicone Skin Case with Belt Clip and Armband + USB Car + USB Home Travel Charger + USB Data Cable for Sandisk Sansa Fuze - All I used out of this kit were the chargers, and this was a VERY cheap kit.
HOSA RT. ANGLE STEREO 3.5mm (M) - STEREO 3.5MM (F) -Right angle 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter. This keeps the cable closer to the phone when I plug the extension into the stereo in the car. Otherwise the extension cable stands straight up, and is not very attractive and in the way of the view.
Cables To Go 21062 6ft Stereo Audio Cable - If, like me, you have to use a cable to plug the audio into your car, this is the type you want.
Phone: PC36100 (Sprint EVO 4G)
To view the latest list, click the links above to see the full list.
- Time Recording - Timesheet App
- Flash Player 10.1 Flash on a phone browser? Why, yes indeed. It may not be perfect, but it is better than most others.
- Apps Organizer : Very useful. Saves a lot of screen real estate and makes organizing all the apps into groups like "Social" and putting apps for Twitter, Facebook, or Google Buzz, in their own group.
- PrinterShare™ Droid Print : As far as I can tell the only way to print from your phone. Once you install the app on the computer(s) you want to share printers from, you will probably want to make the printers unlisted. You may want to consider this so they don't show up as public. If you were running a hotspot, then you might want them public. Good app, I would actually like this for my laptop.
- Gesture Search - Search your contacts quicker.
- Justin.tv Broadcaster
- Adobe Photoshop Express
- Dropbox : Are you kidding? Dropbox for your phone! The app for the phone works well. The only thing better will be when Dropbox allows more free space and specified folders.
- Barcode Scanner
- twidroyd PRO for twitter
- Picasa Tool Pro
- Google Goggles : Visual search is here! Open it, take the pic, and the app will scan and search for what you took the pic of. You can use it to find that better price of something or just find out info about a location, like national landmarks. Take a pic of the Gateway Arch and you get all the info about it quickly.
- Angry Birds Lite Beta
- Dolphin Browser™ HD : I am loving this browser, and end up using it the most. I also use Skyfire and love the competition between them. That just makes using them that much better.
- Shazam : It "listens" to what you are hearing and search for it. It is pretty accurate and finds the right song, and gives you info about it.
- Skyfire Browser (beta) : I am loving this browser. I also use the Dolphin browser and love the competition between them. That just makes using them that much better.
- Aquarium Donation L. Wallpaper
- AppBrain App Market : Probably the most useful app and as far as I am concerned, it is required. I love being able to show someone else about the apps I use. The only thing that could make this one better is if I could check which apps to update (almost always all of them) and then a global OK for the license and to "replace" app and have it automatically update all the apps that need updating. VERY GOOD APP.
- Vignette - Good camera app, pain in the neck to buy.
- Amazon MP3
- Google Shopper : Are you really buying from the best place or price? Need specs or more information for the item?
- TiKL - Touch To Talk (PTT)
- Street View on Google Maps
- Meridian Media Player Pioneer
- Google Voice : Google Voice is fantastic. FREE! Having it on the phone is a natural. I try to only give out my Google Voice number now. It will save you from having to give out multiple numbers and there are a ton of other features. Since you have to have a Google account this one seems a natural even if you only have one phone.
- Google Maps : On the EVO, this is AMAZING! You do want to have at least 3G coverage, same for all phone GPS, but this one is the best. Once you use the maps and the extra features you'll seriously think of giving up on your stand alone GPS.
- TWiTdroid - TWiT.tv app - listen live plus calendar of show times
- TWiT.tv by Mediafly - meh
- Tricorder : It is Star Trek related and I am a geek, so this one is a natural. Turns out to have several useful functions like a WiFi mode that will show you how strong the various signals are in your area. So if you are setting up a new router this could show you that you need to move it or change the channels it broadcasts on. There are others that use GPS and any of the other sensors in the phone.
- Google Earth
- fring - free video calls, IM : Early in its development, very good video. You need to have at least one of the two connections use a headset or there will be a feedback loop. Other than that it makes pretty good calls, and you can use 3G as opposed to others having to be on WiFi.
- Aquarium Live Wallpaper
- Adobe® Reader®
- XkcdViewer : Geek, comic, fun.
- Qik for HTC EVO 4G - Came with the phone from Sprint - have not used it.
- Task Manager : Great way to manage all the apps that are running in the background. You can even use this with the other app managers, just make sure to "ignore" the other apps you want to keep or let run.
- AutoRotate Switch - Sometimes you do not want an app to rotate and this will lock the screen from rotating. Does not apply to the desktop.
- PdaNet free edition - For tethering the phone to a computer for wireless Internet access. I use the cheaper EasyTether, but kept this one just in case.
- DocumentsToGo Full Version Key : If you need edit or create Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, documents, this is the app to get. I got mine for the sale price and I think it is pretty fair. Works like it should.
- Fast Web Installer - Works hand in hand with AppBrain.
- My Market
- EasyTether Lite : Very good app. Does exactly what it says. Go ahead and pay for this, it is less expensive than others and is very easy to use. I have an EVO now, but it worked on my Moment also. With the Moment you have to get the drivers for Windows to have that phone work. The EVO will install automatically.
- Advanced Task Killer : Great way to manage all the apps that are running in the background. You can even use this with the other app managers, just make sure to "ignore" the other apps you want to keep or let run.
- RadioTime : A HUGE amount of stations, you will almost certainly be able to find your station.
- Ringdroid : Great App! You use whatever portion of a song you want to use for ring tones and other notifications. Works great and easy to figure out.
- Asphalt HD - Very nice driving game. Probably won't run on slower phones like the Hero.
- Asphalt 5 HD FREE
- Ustream Broadcaster : If you do live shows this is one of the easiest ways to do a live broadcast. Ustream can also save the show for later viewing.
- Ustream Viewer : Want to watch TWiT live or Chris Pirillo? This is the way to go for now. It seems to be a pretty early version so the only controls are really to turn on or off the chat. Still, not bad, and Ustream has lots of live shows.
- United States Constitution
- Carrr Matey : Very useful especially in large unfamiliar parking lots or locations. When you get out you "drop anchor" and when you want to find your car again it will guide you right to the anchor(your car). You could also use it just to meet up and I am sure plenty of other uses like that.
- IMDb Movies & TV
- Auto Mount Your SD Card
- ShopSavvy Barcode Scanner : Are you really buying from the best place or price? Need specs or more information for the item?
- Listen : Very good, and I use this all the time. Keeps up to date with the Netcasts I subscribe to and I can skip around item to item and it will keep track of where I left off listening.
- Google Translate
- Google Sky Map : Lots of fun, I've never been a good stargazer but with this app at least now I can look up the constellations I'm seeing and friends are amazed.
- GPS Speedometer : Simple. Check to see how far off your speedo is on your car. Almost all cars are intentionally set a bit low. If you are moving, you can see how fast.
- Documents To Go 2.0 Main App - This is the "go to" app for office documents.
- CallTrack : This one would be especially useful to anyone who bills by the hour or even minute like lawyers or tech support. I set this one up with a calendar of its own in my Google account called "Phone Calls" (original huh?) and I can turn it on or off to see all of the calls I make or receive, with the number and time of start and end. Then each one can be edited like any other event on the Google Calendar.
- My Maps Editor by Google - Ties in with your saved Google Maps.
- Transformers Puzzle : I installed a few apps for my nephews and the other kids I'm around. Puzzles and games are great to keep them entertained. Just show them not to click on the ads.
- BatteryLife : Easier to quickly see how much batter life you have left and if you turn on the extra info to see if you are charging with the right voltage.
- iheartradio : Want to stream Leo Laporte's The Tech Guy? This is the app to listen to. Not to mention several hundred other stations.
- Speedtest.net Speed Test : Check your Internet speed and on the different connections, 3G, 4G, and WiFi.
TiKL - Touch To Talk (PTT) - REMOVED - Seemed to slow down the phone.
iheartradio : Want to stream Leo Laporte's The Tech Guy? This is the app to listen to. Not to mention several hundred other stations. REMOVED Now only on Verizon phones.
The short list. Check the list above to see if I have a bit more explanation of why I like these apps. I think these are a good bare-minimum of apps. File management apps are at the bottom of the list.
This group will give you a lot of functionality and at least one game/time killer.
The survival of the Angry Birds is at stake. Dish out revenge on the greedy pigs who stole their eggs. Use the unique powers of each bird to destroy the pigs’ fortresses. Angry Birds features challenging physics-based gameplay and hours of replay value. Each of the 195 levels requires logic, skill, and force to solve.
Scan barcodes on products then look up prices and reviews. You can also scan Data Matrix and QR Codes containing URLs, contact info, etc. Also share your contacts, apps, and bookmarks via QR Code. This is why contacts permissions are needed.
Dolphin Browser™ HD by Dolphin Browser http://www.appbrain.com/app/dolphin-browser%E2%84%A2-hd/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser
Dolphin Browser™ HD V4.0 For more info about this update, Visit blog.dolphin-browser.com
Install apps directly from appbrain.com in your web browser to your phone. For ALL Android versions! See developers webpage (below) for more info. Credentials are needed to grant permission to do fast web install via AppBrain, the FAQ has more info. Should now work on custom ROMs. Please email us for problems.
RUN THE APP ON THE PHONE, FOLLOW THE SETUP WIZARD
Shares your phone Internet connection with PC (Windows 7/Vista/XP 64-bit/32-bit, Mac OS X, Ubuntu) Does not need root access Tether PS3 Wii XBox via PC ICS http://tinyurl.com/tether-faq Full app allows https Full app is $9.99, one-time fee, cheaper than PDANet Recent changes: added Mac OS X 10.4+ Latest version: 0.9.10 (for all Android versions)
CallTrack logs your phone activity to your Google Calendar. You can select the type of calls to log (incoming, outgoing, and missed) and the calendar to log them in. You can also dump your current call log to your calendar. Gmail by Google Inc. http://www.appbrain.com/app/gmail/com.google.android.gm
The dedicated Gmail application integrated with Contacts and Android applications.
* Email pushed automatically to your phone * Search all your messages * Access synched messages when off line * View messages by conversation * Multiple Gmail accounts * Stars, labels, and many other features
Google Voice by Google Inc. http://www.appbrain.com/app/google-voice/com.google.android.apps.googlevoice
Place calls and send text messages showing your Google number. Listen to voicemail and read transcripts. Currently only available in the US.
NEW: Search your voicemail transcripts and text messages.
IMPORTANT: You must open Google Voice at least once after upgrading to route calls.
* Google official daily featured photos * Flipping, zoom in/out,save or set cropped pic as contact/wallpaper * Your favorites/contacts/friends web albums * Browse/manage your picasa albums/photos/comments * Save/delete/share photos * Batch uploader * Oauth login
Pandora Radio is your own FREE personalized radio now available to stream music on your phone. Start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs or classical composers and Pandora will create a "station" that plays their music and more music like it. Already a Pandora User? Just log in to enjoy your stations.
Skyfire Browser (beta) by Skyfire http://www.appbrain.com/app/skyfire-browser-(beta)/com.skyfire.browser
Skyfire Browser makes the web richer, smarter & more fun! Downloaded more than 1M Times! • Only browser to play MILLIONS of Flash videos on your favorite sites like Vevo, ESPN, Southpark Studios Justin.tv & more! • Choose Mobile/Desktop browser view • Explore related content • FroYo/Flash support Hulu blocking
A multi-sensor environmental monitor -- turn your Android device into a working tricorder!
Voice Search by Google Inc. http://www.appbrain.com/app/voice-search/com.google.android.voicesearch
Quickly search your phone, the web, and nearby locations by speaking, instead of typing. Call your contacts, get directions, and control your phone with Voice Actions.
Note: Voice Actions is only available in US English for now.
Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!! Shows the Wi-Fi channels around you. Helps you to find a less crowded channel for your wireless router.
NOTICE: This release contains Ad but you can hide it via settings.
AndroZip File Manager http://www.appbrain.com/app/androzip-file-manager/com.agilesoftresource
File manager, app backup, Task manager, search files, app installer, send files, app installer Unpacks: ZIP, RAR, 7ZIP, GZIP, TAR, BZIP2
ASTRO File Manager http://www.appbrain.com/app/astro-file-manager/com.metago.astro
Features: File Manager, Backup, Image and text viewers, Networking, SMB, Bluetooth, SFTP, Zip Tar, downloader, thumbnails, search files, application manager, task manager, attachments
Filemanager allows you to browse your SD card, create directories, rename, copy, move, and delete files. It also acts as an extension to other applications to display "Open" and "Save" dialogs.